Tuesday, September 14, 2010

DJ Shadow and Shop-Placing

Shop-Placing is the opposite of shoplifting - you put things into shops rather than take them out.

Banksy did it in 2006 with his version of Paris Hilton's album, and now DJ Shadow has done it to promote his new music.  He's been placing place vinyl 7" records with tracks on in cult record shops near to where he'll be playing gigs.

""The idea is 'shop-placing; it's the opposite of shoplifting. You go into a store, and leave your record in the racks to be discovered later. It's not about being cute, it's about passing the music along in the most unobtrusive way possible. No hype, no shouting, no shot-in-the-void online campaign. Just, ‘Here you go…I’m glad you found it, and I hope you enjoy it.’ I’d rather give away free vinyl than a download, because to me, downloads are so impersonal and soulless.”"

More at PlaygroundMag

It also reminds me of last week's Nike stunt.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails